Workforce Development Coordinator
Chief Objective: This position has two primary purposes:
- Aggressively work with business and industry in the identification of
educational and training needs, the development of customized training
programs and courses.
- Provide non-credit, continuing education class offerings that meet the
needs of local business and industry, individuals and facilitate state wide
Job Related Tasks
- Looks for opportunities for, and participates in, the creation of innovative
programs to meet the needs of clients and works with other college departments
to facilitate the administration of these programs.
- Conducts numerous telephone conversations, e-mail communications, and visits
while marketing training opportunities to potential clients answering questions,
replying to issues, or answering enquiries.
- Drafts contracts for presentation to client companies including such
information as training to be offered, costs, numbers pf participants, credits
to be awarded, location of training, and many other aspects relative to training
- Helps in locating of adjunct faculty to develop and deliver current,
state-of-the-art workplace programs.
- Makes face-to-face contact with area clients or potential clients and
- Works with other college departments, administrators, faculty and VCCS staff
to promote mutually acceptable solutions between established policies and
changing needs of clients.
- Coordinates with other staff personnel to follow-up on all client requests,
including such things as classroom arrangements, book sales, registrations,
assessments, and numerous other activities involved and the delivery of
- Works with other educational institutions, creating MOU’s, developing
partnering opportunities, and watching for market competition.
- Writes articles, class schedules, websites, and program advertisements to
promulgate Workforce Training & Continuing Education opportunities.
- Participates in various boards (WIB), partnerships (planning districts, for
example), and advisory groups (WFD Council) with which the college may be
- Produces numerous marketing materials such as ads, brochures, web-related
- Represents the college at various meetings ranging form chambers of
commerce, economic development, jurisdictional organizations, educational
organizations, and development partnerships.
- Compiles, stores, and retrieves management data, using PC-based programs,
such as Microsoft Office and PeopleSoft.
- Handles complaints from dissatisfied clients, assigned faculty, or
individual participants and ensures that complaints are addressed in an
appropriate manner to optimize overall customer satisfaction.
- Organizes, plans, and executes events, such as conferences, seminars, board
meetings, etc… in support of college business and/or social networking.
- Conducts public presentations to make the service-area business community
aware of programs and opportunities available through the WFD Center.
- Conveys college and client expectations and guidelines to assigned adjunct
- Provides training feedback to clients to build new and sustain existing
- Creates, maintains, and/or supervises staff to ensure effective filing
systems to support programs and clients relations.
- Initiates cold-calls to prospective/potential clients with the aim of making
them aware of all services/programs available through the college.
- Prepares and proofs reports to higher authorities.
- Reads professional materials related to WFD and the community college
system, reviews web-based information, and networks with other college staff to
stay abreast of programs offered.
- Participates in professional development through appropriate conferences,
workshops, seminars, the WFD academy, etc…
- Coordinates services, such as maintenance/room set-up, equipment repair,
bookstore, registration, counseling, supplies, mail, and files.
- Registers participants for non-credit courses or provides instructor with
information to register participants.
- Operates and set-up equipment such as scanning machines, overhead
projectors, computers, computer projection equipment, etc…
- Prepares repots addressing such issues as student and company feedback,
recommendations for resolution of administrative problems, status of on-going
programs or grant-funded activities.
- Sets-up rooms for training.
- Assists in the preparation of budgets and annual reports.
- Serves as a program specific coordinator such as, a pre-employment training
or customized training for companies.